Goat Housing (Shed) Information Guide
Introduction to Goat Housing or Shed:- Goat shed or housing plays important role in any successful commercial goat farming. Based on number of goats, you should plan for goat housing. If you want to start with low numbers of goat and wants to invest less initially, there is an option for going to construct a simple goat shed. For commercial goat farming business, one must know how to build goat housing. Goat shed is required for security to protect goats from unwanted predators (such as wild dogs, wolfs and snakes), unpredictable weather conditions and to provide shelter in night times. After planning on number of goats to be raised, you can get an idea on shed dimensions or size which can have both covered area and open area. Cost of goat shed construction depends on many factors like number of goats, space allocated for feed storage, and type of rearing like zero grazing (stall feeding) or open field grazing (where they require only night shelter). In the following write-up, let us talk about goat housing.
Tips for Goat Housing Selection and Construction:- The following tips are useful in selecting and managing the goat shed.
- Select the land for shed construction which is not impacted by wild winds, predators and floods. The space should be dry and on height.
- For good cross-ventilation and good air flow, East-West orientation of goat shed is preferred.
- Go for simple shed with low coat material especially when you are in trail method of farming.
- Always clean and keep the goat shed dry.
- Make sure the shed is well ventilated and has good air flow.
- Always make sure to have separate sections for goat based on their age and health conditions.
- Gable roofing is preferred in shed construction. However, in case of small goat housing, lean type roofing is preferred.
- Goat Housing – Goats should have feeding area and partition for k >
Goat Housing – Types of Goat Shed:- Types of sheds depend on the system of goat rearing, let us talk about different type of goat sheds those can be constructed for commercial goat farming business.
- Goat Shed Construction Over the Ground: Usually this type of goat shed is made over the ground and this type is most common in Indian goat farmers. The shed floor can be built with brick or soil or cement. However, it is better to spread some dry straw material on the floor. Make sure to maintain the floor always clean and dry.
- Goat Shed Construction Over the Poles: These goat sheds are built on poles, usually they height of the floor is going to be about 1.5 meters 2 meters from the ground level. The best part of this type of shed is it can keep goats free from Damp /hum >
Goat Housing – Space Requirement Based on Goat Age and Condition:- The following are meant for Indian Conditions.
|Goat age groups||Covered space(sq. meter)||Open space (sq.meter)|
|Initial 3 months||0.3-0.4||1-1.5|
|3 – 6 months||0.6-0.9||1.5-2|
|6 – 12 months||1-1.5||2-2.5|
|Male, Pregnant or lactating ewes/ does||2.5-3||4-5|
Goat Housing – Bottom Line in Goat Housing Management:- Before starting a commercial goat farming, visit couple of goat houses or sheds in your local area to get an clear picture of the shed material and shed dimensions and intensive or stall-fed goat farming. Even you can watch YouTube videos or read these kind of blogs for more information.